Tuesday, February 20

baby stuff knitted

A little while ago I posted pictures of a sage green WIP baby bolero from One Skein, and I guess it never got it's finished photo taken. Too late now as it's off to it's new home and it's still nearly two months until this baby plans to arrive. I brought my knitting to the baby shower and quickly whipped up the coordinating hat (see above) out of Blue Sky Cotton. I just guessed on the # of stitches to cast on, and guessed on the decreases and really I don't think the baby will mind that I've never figured out how to do the jogless join neatly and thus gave up on it halfway through her hat.
The other baby project on the needles are these booties in leftover sock yarn. Based on the ubiquitous booty pattern, I changed the garter stitch rows because I prefer a smoother knit. This one isn't complete yet, there are still a few ends to weave in and really with this varigated yarn it's hard to get a feel for the actual booty - all you see is COLOR!!! The second booty is started, the sole is complete but I somehow lost a couple of my #2 dpns during my last travels. I did have Susan Bates metal dpns but think that I'll replace those with bamboo just as soon as I can get to the yarn store.

Thursday, February 15

Big Snow Pictures

Here are some pics from our big Valentine's Day storm. Above and below: midday during the meat of the storm.

Having a quick treat.

The aftermath. Snowplow stuck in the driveway, trees and bushes buried.

Huge snowbanks and lots of snow to move around.

I know our house is behind that snow somewhere.

Saturday, February 10

Laceleaf Pullover progress

Progress is being made on the Laceleaf Pullover. My main goal for today was the grafting. I'm not afraid of a little kitchener stitch, but this was 102 stitches of kitchener - which is frankly quite a lot. It took me the better part of two hours to get it all done, with breaks and everything and it looks pretty good. This yarn hides it well. I experimented with two different routines, and for this yarn I like slipping the stitch and then priming the next before pulling the yarn all the way through. it just looked more natural that way.

the body is really long because i have a wicked long torso (and short stubby legs). after viewing everyone else's pullover on their blogs, i was really afraid of the sweater being too short and too tight so i made the medium version and added to the length and at this point i like the look - very tunic-y.
here's a shot of the photo area coming together. we're putting together an area to take pics of the bikes and parts and so forth - but this requires much gear. most of it pricey. so it's coming together slowly but surely. the second light showed up today. that in conjunction with adjusting the white levels on the camera itself should help us get much better photos. the next step is figuring out how to hang the 14' roll of background paper so that we can shoot entire bikes.

Friday, February 2

new cars